Share This

Monday, January 11, 2010

Simple Faith



A little boy opened the big and old family Bible with fascination, and looked at the old pages as he turned them. Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible, and he picked it up and looked at it closely. It was an old leaf from a tree that had been pressed between the pages. 'Momma, look what I found,' the boy called out. 'What have you got there, dear?' his mother asked. With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered: 'I think it's Adam's suit!'


I love the simplicity of childlike faith. The little boy in the story had heard the biblical account of creation and simply accepted it as truth.

A few years ago, we were driving from Oklahoma City to Tulsa on the turnpike late at night. I could see my four year old son's face from time to time as the lights from the road would shine in as cars passed by. I could tell from his expression he was deep in thought. Out of the darkness I heard his little voice speak. 'Momma,in heaven---no tears?' 'That's right', I answered. 'Momma,no mean people there?' he asked with a curious tone. 'That's right sweetie',I said. After a few more lights passed by he asked in a very serious almost desperate tone, "HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?"
Well...I had spent years speaking with confidence in front of rooms of business men and women far more intimidating than this one little boy. I'd taught Sunday School classes, led bible studies and spoken in various ministry settings from funerals to fund raisers and I was now facing my toughest audience; one little boy with big blue eyes and an urgent need to understand heaven. All I could come up with deep in my intellect and spiritual maturity was; Jesus loves me this I know...
So I answered his HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS(?)question by saying,"The bible tells me so!"
He thought for a moment and smiled and simply said, "WELL OKAY THEN!"

Do we do that? Do we take our questions to the word of God and accept the treasures, truths,and promises it offers? Do you know God loves you? Do you know He sent his only son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross in your place? Do you know heaven is a real place where He promises to wipe away our tears? Did you know he promises to remove your sin as far as the east is from the west?

Revelation 21:
4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."...27Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Psalm 103:
11 For his unfailing love toward those who fear him
is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
12 He has removed our sins as far from us
as the east is from the west.

WELL OKAY THEN!
I want to have the simple faith my son had that night in the quiet of our car. I want to know God's word and accept it into my everyday life. I'll keep working on trusting Him.
How about You?

Just Thinkin',

Kathy

Search

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)
Learn more about inviting Kathy (Founder of A G A Ministries) to speak to your team, company, or next event.

CLICK MAP TO BOOK KATHY TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT