Share This

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Words of Grace


Just an observation on words: (You can scroll on away if you don't want my observation...no worries)

Several times in the past few weeks, I have had encouraging notes or phone calls or conversations from various friends, acquaintances, and even some strangers. Encouraging words are fuel for the journey and have been very welcomed. However, may I be honest enough to tell you...I did not take all of them to heart?

Here's why:

From a few (very few thankfully) came the encouragement, then within a short while came also gossip, slander, words rooted in jealousy or fear. That duplicity gives me pause to consider motives and sincerity.

Feeling so awkward and not really ready to commit to "whoa Nelly (or Nelson) you are a two faced -gossipy-hurtful-and double minded- scaredy cat judge and jury who needs to stop this mess right now"... I think I just look away or try to end the conversation, making a mental note to guard my heart in the future. I realize...that is not enough!

My reason for posting this is the following:

DO I DO THAT? DO YOU? Do we:
 Vent (even if somehow justified in the emotions) to others about another person? Allow old hurts or wounds to sneak into a conversation and slam someone not present?

YUCK! EEWWW! Blech!!!

What motivates us to harm others with our words? Some say, “I'm not gossiping, it's true!” That does not mean it is not slander or gossip. If it is not yours to share...don't share! (Previous post covered that)

The spirit that lived in the jealous heart's of Cain toward Abel, and Saul toward David, still lurks around looking to squelch the work Our Lord has for us to do and make our offering an offense. We all need encouragement in our lives. Look for what God has for you to do and stop minding other people's business.
Speak life! We need to trust the heart and motives of those who speak life to us.

Jealousy is looking around at other people's lives and deciding they don't deserve who or what they have in their lives, so we begin to tear down. This is sin...confess it as such!

STOP LOOKING AT OTHER PEOPLE'S PAPER! In this life, we have our OWN test to worry about.
Build up...or..shut up! (Yes I am very aware we don't say shut up at my house!)

I am very thankful for the people prompted by the Spirit of God who have left wonderful notes of encouragement to me personally or to the Ministry of A Gentle Answer Ministries ...Thank you, deeply!

For those who have used their words to tear down, I challenge you to ask yourself WHY AM I DOING THIS? Who do I serve? What does God have for me to do and do well? Who can I encourage and do so with a sincere heart?
Who do you/I need to apologize too? Do you/I have a tendency towards jealousy or envy that leads you/me to fear which causes you/me to stop trusting God? Have your/my words harmed any one's career, personal life, ministry, friendships or character? If so, then do you/I need to make amends? Tell the truth? Ask forgiveness?Repent of this behavior?
Ask yourself again...WHY DO I DO THAT?

Proverbs 16:28 
A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends.

Psalms 41:7
All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me.


2 Corinthians 12:20 
For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.

Titus 2:2-3
Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good...




I am going to:

-Strive to use my words for good...Words of Grace

-Guard my heart against known gossips or jealous minded people

-Change the subject when one tries to include me in gossip or slander

-Confront those who have harmed me  with gossip and seek to forgive

-Ask God to show me any error in my heart regarding this topic (jealousy, envy, strife, gossip) and seek forgiveness when needed

How about You?

1 Thessalonians 5:11 - Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

Hebrews 10:25 - Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Hebrews 3:13 - But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

1 Corinthians 3:13 - Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.



Just Thinkin',
Kathy

Search

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)
Learn more about inviting Kathy (Founder of A G A Ministries) to speak to your team, company, or next event.

CLICK MAP TO BOOK KATHY TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT