Share This

Monday, January 18, 2010

Commanded To Love

Just as the North Pole receives many letters from children addressed to Santa, the U.S. Post Office receives many addressed simply "GOD".

One letter from a little girl named Nan sums up our struggle with the command to love your neighbor. It starts in your own home.


I think we have all had times when we can relate to Nan's letter which starts:

DEAR GOD,

Leviticus 19:18
" 'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

Luke 10:27
He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "


We have heard these words all our lives. We know God commands us to Love, and yet just loving the people in our own families can be a challenge.
I find myself justifying my bad reactions to other people's behavior or justifying my bad actions that have offended others. God wants me to love my neighbor, love my family, love myself and ultimately (according to these scriptures) I must love Him first in order to love anyone else.

It is hard to love the 'Unlovely' and yet God commands us to love. When there have been cross words, disappointments or disrespect it is tough to remember we are commanded to love. So let's cut each other some slack. This week I want to work on making a choice to love as an action not just a feeling; starting right in my own home.
How about you?

I love you and want you to know God loves you.



Just Thinkin',

Kathy

Search

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)
Learn more about inviting Kathy (Founder of A G A Ministries) to speak to your team, company, or next event.

CLICK MAP TO BOOK KATHY TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT