Share This

Friday, October 22, 2021

Got Rocks in Your Beans? Examine, Sort, Rinse, Soak

Ever bitten down on a rock? It happens. No I don't mean on purpose. Not many of us set out to chew gravel...well, not many relatively sane among us do. But, I once chomped on a rock that snuck (it's a word ya know) into a bite of beans.

I am soaking beans today in order to fix a wonderful pot of ham and beans that will sit nicely next to a pan of homemade cornbread. But before I could just rush in and throw the beans in a pot on the stove, I had to rinse the beans and then soak them for a long period of time.

I remember as a little girl I wondered why my dad (the ultimate ham and beans chef) soaked the beans overnight before starting to cook them.  
The answers range from getting the "gassiness" (Yes that is now also a word...I said so) to letting the impurities rise to the surface to be washed away.

Today, I read the following message of actual instruction on the bag (the beans came in):

"Although we clean these beans, stones and debris may be present. For best result, examine, sort and rinse prior to use. Depending on water hardness, soaking time may vary. "


Reminds me of the stones of the heart and debris of sin that may be present in my life. 

*Have I hardened my heart toward God or someone in any area of my life?

*Is there debris from my past that needs to be recognized and cleansed away?

*Do I have anxious thoughts that need to be examined and rinsed in faith?

*Do I need to "soak" in God's word to get the best results in my life?

*Is there an annoying "gassiness" or hot air in my Christian talk, walk, attitude?

*How about you? Do you need to stop breaking teeth on the gravel of sin?

*Have you been listening to the wrong narrative because it agrees with your sin or rebellion?

*Have I?




Psalm 51:1-3 Generous in love—God, give grace!
    Huge in mercy—wipe out my bad record.
Scrub away my guilt,
    soak out my sins in your laundry.
I know how bad I’ve been;
    my sins are staring me down.


Sorting and rinsing...Instructions here.

As for "soaking time may vary"...It may take a lifetime...Sanctification. Keep rinsing... it's a good thing!
Time to Examine for rocks...


Just Thinkin',

Kathy

P.S.  No animals were harmed in the making of this post...however, grammar was slightly abused.


Search

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)

A Gentle Answer Ministries (Proverbs 15:1)
Learn more about inviting Kathy (Founder of A G A Ministries) to speak to your team, company, or next event.

CLICK MAP TO BOOK KATHY TO SPEAK AT YOUR EVENT